Roughly three weeks after his demise, a medical examiner has ruled that former lead singer of the R&B group Hi-Five, Tony Thompson, died accidentally while “huffing” Freon.
Thompson, 31, was found dead near an air-conditioning unit outside an East Waco apartment complex on June 1.
According to The Waco Tribune, Dr. Reade A. Quinton, a medical examiner at the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas, determined that Thompson died from “toxic effects of chlorodifluoromethane,” or inhaling a toxic amount of Freon.
Thompson’s autopsy report showed that he had a history of “Freon huffing.” No alcohol or illegal drugs were found in his system. However, the autopsy showed Thompson’s blood stream had a small amount of methadone, a synthetic narcotic used to treat drug addiction.
Thompson and Hi-Five enjoyed national success in the 90’s with hits like “She’s Playing Hard To Get” and “I Like The Way.” After the group disbanded Thompson pursued a solo career and released an album in1994. He would restart Hi-Five with new singers in 2005 and had reportedly been working on another solo project.
Filed under: News |