One of my favorite things to do is laugh! Nothing picks my spirits up or makes my day like a good laugh. According to HelpGuide.org, here is why you should laugh more often:
The Physical Health Benefits of Laughter
- reduce stress
- lower blood pressure
- elevate mood
- boost immune system
- improve brain functioning
- protect the heart
- connect you to others
- foster instant relaxation
- makes you feel good
“The Boondocks” tickles me!
The Mental Health Benefits of Laughter
- Humor enhances our ability to affiliate or connect with others.
- Humor helps us replace distressing emotions with pleasurable feelings. You cannot feel angry, depressed, anxious, guilty, or resentful and experience humor at the same time.
- Lacking humor will cause one’s thought processes to stagnate leading to increased distress.
- Humor changes behavior – when we experience humor we talk more, make more eye contact with others, touch others, etc.
- Humor increases energy, and with increased energy we may perform activities that we might otherwise avoid.
- Finally, humor is good for mental health because it makes us feel good!
I have been blessed with incredibly funny friends, but when they are not available, I can count on The Simpsons and Eddie Murphy for a great laugh… Homer and that pig! LOL! I don’t care what people say about Eddie – he is the epitome of FUNNY!
I can laugh at people dancing all day: Shaq’s booty pop is too much! Classic!!!“Scrubs” always has funny scenes!
Also, check out what Real Age has to say about laughter.
I can easily post a bunch of my fave funny clips – I have a bookmark folder dedicated to comedy – but since we all have different senses of humor, I will just encourage you to have a laugh, a giggle, a chuckle every day! 😀
Filed under: Encourage |